Work has started again at the Prince Alex Resort and Convention Centre.
It’s been almost a year since construction halted on the site and changes to the design were ordered by its owner, Sean Liu, of Summerside.
However, Fitzgerald and Snow has now been awarded the contract to manage the first phase of construction, which consists of making the building weather tight, and crews started working at the site last week.
The materials are on order and the current construction crew of about eight people is expected to expand to dozens as it starts to arrive.
Nicolle Morrison, co-broker/owner of Century 21 Northumberland Realty and a spokeswoman for Liu, said Monday that she expects the exterior of the structure to be completed eight months from now and the interior to take, roughly, another 10 months.
There has been a few stops and starts in terms of construction at the site, she acknowledged, but as far as the builders are concerned the work is full speed ahead from here.
“We’re ready to go,” said Morrison.
Which is great for the community, she added, as this is a huge project for the city.
“It’s definitely going to fill a need. There’s a lot of people saying this will be a wonderful asset to our city.”
Summerside Mayor Bill Martin said the city has been keeping a close eye on this project and is pleased that it is progressing once again.
The community is eager to work with Liu to get it done, said Martin.
“It’s a huge undertaking and it’s a significant investment on (Liu’s) part. We’re certainly appreciative of the fact that he’s moving forward with this,” he said.
According to the latest plans, the Prince Alex Resort and Convention Centre will include 120 rooms, two restaurants, a spa, souvenir store and space to hold conventions, all within a stone’s throw from the water and next to the city’s scenic boardwalk. Liu also has plans to further develop the area, but Morrison said their primary concern is to complete the resort.
The resort sits at the end of MacKenzie Drive in Summerside and encompasses what was the former Dynasty Spa, which was built, but ultimately abandoned, in the early 1990s. Liu, who is originally from China, purchased the property in 2005, plus a significant amount of other adjacent land, and announced in 2013 his plans to build the Prince Alex Resort and Convention Centre. Work at the site has been intermittent since then.