Carbon Monoxide Detectors mandatory in homes in Ontario

Submitted by Pedro Giorgana

As of November of 2013 the installation of Carbon Monoxide Detectors was made mandatory in all homes that have fuel burning appliances in the Province of Ontario.

CO detectors must be installed outside sleeping areas and additional CO detectors can be installed on every floor for added protection. It is a mistake to install a CO detector just in the basement next to the furnace, because the alarm may not be heard on the second floor.

Any fuel burning appliance like water heaters, furnaces and fireplaces could lead to a carbon monoxide leak. Houses with attached garages are also at risk because cars produce Carbon Monoxide.

Carbon Monoxide is a tasteless, odourless gas that can kill people during sleep even. It mixes with the air and doesn't rise like smoke. Carbon monoxide poisoning includes flu-like symptoms, headache, nausea, dizziness, light-headedness and shortness of breath. High levels of CO can cause death within a few minutes. If the CO warning signal sounds, immediately go to a fresh air location and call 911. Stay in the fresh air location until emergency personel tell you it is safe to return.

CO detectors start at about $30.00 and can be battery powered, plugged into an outlet or hard wired into a home's electrical system. CO detectors are NOT substitutes for smoke alarms. CO detectors should be replaced every five years and smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years.

As a professional Home Inspector, Pedro Giorgana would be happy to conduct a review of any possible imprevements in your smoke and CO detectors in your home, during the post-inspection consultation.

Courtney Carroll

Courtney Carroll

Sales Representative
CENTURY 21 Leading Edge Realty Inc., Brokerage*
Contact Me