As spring finally seems to have arrived, take a look at these tips to prep your home for a long enjoyable summer.
1. Check for possible damage to the roof. Look for missing, cracked or broken shingles and make note of any needed repairs. For safety reasons, you may want to consider hiring a qualified professional to take care of any repair work that needs to be done.
2. Clean gutters and downspouts and make sure they are directing water away from the house. A minimum of three to six feet away from any corner or exterior wall is recommended. Moisture can be the biggest enemy, and proper drainage is the key to a safe and healthy home.
3. Cut back tree limbs and shrubs growing within five feet of the house or that are brushing up against the roof. You will create better ventilation, help dry out surfaces and prevent possible damage.
4. Check for and repair cracks in driveway/sidewalk. Spring is the best time to seal cracks in the driveway or any other concrete.
5. Pressure wash your deck/patio and bring outdoor furniture out of storage. Make sure to wipe down each piece thoroughly prior to placing on a freshly washed surface.
6. Check garden hoses for dry rot and inspect hose faucets for possible freeze damage that may have occurred during the winter months.
7. Regrade negative sloping soil around the foundation; this will help keep moisture away from the perimeter of the home.
8. Clean/condition your outdoor grill by first rinsing all outside surfaces with water. If grease has loosened on the grill grates and inside of the grill, wipe off using grill cleaner and paper towels. Follow by washing with a mild detergent and water. Rinse well and wipe dry.
By taking the time to prepare your home for spring, you’ll be able to focus more on enjoying outdoor activities, longer days and mild weather and less on household fixes and repairs.
Article compliments of Wes Byleveld, A Buyer's Choice Home Inspections-Georgina & Bradford. Phone 289-338-9788