Part IV of TeamCHAMP’s Holiday Organizathon
Ah, Christmas. The season of giving. The season where—according to many—you’re not supposed to focus on yourself. We’re here to question that thinking. After all, how can you expect your family and friends to be happy if you’ve been neglecting yourself all month long? That’s why, after all the shopping, the caroling, and the merrymaking, find time to do something nice for yourself. Whatever form that takes is up to you, but we have some ideas to get you started:
- While it’s not the most exciting activity, conscious breathing is free, relaxing, and can be done anywhere. An easy technique is called Equal Breathing – simply breathe in through your nose for four seconds, and then exhale through your nose for four seconds. For extra relaxation, try closing your eyes or laying down on your bed.
Exercise. It sounds hard to believe, we know. And it doesn’t really sound like a gift to yourself. However, staying active is a great way to encourage relaxation. It doesn’t have to be much – a brisk walk, ice skating, etc. Anything is better than nothing. As an added bonus, exercising will allow you to enjoy those Christmas cookies guilt-free.
- Have a solo dance party. Listening to upbeat music can lower blood pressure and reduce anxiety. Plus, at solo dance parties no one can complain about your choice of music.
- We’ve said this before, but we are incredibly lucky to live in a place that has such scenic countryside. Get in your car, forget the map, and go on an adventure down roads less travelled. If you lose cellphone reception, you’re on the right track.
- Like to cook? Treat yourself to an Instant Pot. This multi-cooker has a cult following, and combines multiple cooking tools in one. It also allows you to cook food up to 70% faster, so you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your family.
- Baths are the classic way to isolate yourself from the world—albeit temporarily. And luckily for you, there’s plenty of options out there. If you’d like to browse before you buy, try Sephora, The Bay, The Body Shop, and Lush. All have options for bath lovers of both genders.
- That thing you’ve been eyeing all year but haven’t bought yet. If it makes you happy (and doesn’t break the bank) then it’s worth it. Go the extra mile for yourself and wrap it too. On Christmas morning, your eyes will light up when you see that “To Me, From Me” gift tag. Trust us.
Finally, we hate to nag (really, we do), but you won’t be able to focus on yourself—or your family and friends, for that matter—if you procrastinate your to-do list until the last minute. Get out there, seize the day, and check back next week for more tips that will make your life easier.