A new home. A new beginning. A fresh start.
The joys of new home ownership are plenty, and generally it puts us into a get it right' mentality. We aim to reduce the clutter, increase our green' sensibilities, and lessen the workload that bogged us down previously.
Decorating with space in mind is always a freeing activity. The reduction of clutter always lightens the overall feeling of a home and creates a more harmonious flow of energy. This mentality can also apply to your greening' activities.
Recycling has been drummed into our heads for a long time, as an efficient way to lessen our imprint on the planet. But, have you ever heard of precycling? Didn't think so. Precycling is something that actually works to lessen the amount of recycling that we need to do. A pre-recycling step if you will. And, just as you learned in elementary school, three R' principles (reading, 'riting (writing), and 'rithmetic (arithmetic)) apply here as well. The three R's of waste reduction are; reduce, reuse, and recycle.
What that means, in a nutshell, is 'think before you buy.' It will not only save you money, but also minimize waste.
Here are some great tips to help get you started.
* Read news online and cancel your newspaper subscription.
* Rent movies with Netflix or other online services and save on DVDs.
* Buy music through iTunes and erase the need for packaging.
* Buy eBooks or audiobooks and save a tree.
* Use cloth bags at the supermarket
* Rent or borrow items before buying
* Shop local and save on the high cost and inefficiency of transportation (and you'd be surprised to learn what they have to do to foods to make it sustainable over long distances)
* Use rechargeable batteries
* Use a lawn service or share equipment with neighbours (also builds a strong community)
* Avoid disposables and always choose the refillable or re-usable product.