TIP OF THE MONTH
· Clean debris from the surface of the roof. Debris has a tendency to hold water, and water will expedite roof deterioration.
· Keep all gutters free of debris. Make sure that the downspouts are draining properly by testing them with a garden hose.
· If your roof is starting to collect moss or algae, install some zinc or lead control strips.
· Check all caulking and sealants. Scrape and remove any caulking that is weather cracked and damaged and reapply.
· Check all flashings and make sure they are not deteriorated. Check for holes. Secure it to siding or other surface and reapply roofing cement.
· Check the open valley metal for rust. Wire brush the rust then prime and paint the metal.
· Trim back any overhanging tree branches or any overgrown vegetation.
· Dab some roof cement under any loose shingle tabs and replace damaged shingles.
· Check the mortar on chimneys and parapet walls, both in between the brick and on top. If it is damaged or deteriorated, have it re-pointed.
Russell Cook, RHI Inspector
Canadian Residential Inspection Services