Like many parents I spend a good part of the year in arenas. We are so fortunate in Ontario to have the Ontario Minor Hockey Association (OMHA),
The purpose of the OMHA is to promote, encourage, govern, and organize ice hockey for the youth of the OMHA which includes:
- Coordinating and developing minor hockey programs for all ages up to and including the Juvenile age division for players in that part of Ontario for which the OMHA is responsible
- Protecting and serving the mutual interests of all its member
- Carrying out competition for championships, where appropriate
- Recognizing the integrity of local community programs and encouraging a strong sense of community pride and participation
- Representing the interest of its members at the Branch/OHF and National levels
- Working with the Branch/OHF and National Associations to promote the cooperative development of hockey programs and their effective administration
- Enhancing the positive value of programs by providing leadership and initiatives to develop players, coaches, of officials and local volunteers
- To encourage and promote certain ideals in all participants: to play fairly under all circumstances and all conditions; to give opponents a fair chance and not take unfair advantage of any opponent; to win graciously and accept defeat with dignity; to show respect to the game officials
- To love the game above the prize
- To provide sport for the greatest number
The following core values of the Ontario Minor Hockey Association have been adopted by their organization, their member partners, and their participants as leaders and stakeholders in minor hockey and guide them in everything we do.
Leadership – Take a leadership position in the administration, and delivery of programming in minor hockey in Canada.Lead, Develop, and Promote Positive Hockey Experiences
Sportsmanship – Foremost of their values is to teach a sense of fair play. Become humble in victory, gracious in defeat. They will foster friendship with teammates and opponents alike.In a positive hockey experience for all participants, in a safe, sportsmanlike environment
Respect for the Individual – Treat all others as you expect to be treated. In the values of fair play and sportsmanship, including the development of respect for all people by all participants
Integrity – They seek to foster honesty and fair play beyond mere strict interpretation of the rules and regulations of the game.
Pursuit of Excellence at the Individual, Team and Organizational Levels – Each member of the organization, whether player, volunteer or staff, should seek to perform each aspect of the game to the highest level of his or her ability. In the development of life skills which will benefit participants throughout their lives.
Enjoyment – It is important for the hockey experience to be fun, satisfying and rewarding for all participants.
Loyalty – They aspire to teach loyalty to the ideals and fellow members of the game of hockey. To instill the values of honesty and integrity in participants at all times.
Teamwork –They value the strength of learning to work together. The use of teamwork is reinforced and rewarded by success in the hockey experience. In the promotion of teamwork and the belief that what groups and society can achieve as a whole is greater than that which can be achieved by individuals.