WHO IS DOUG MONETT?
* From 1980 to 2007 - I was a High School teacher for the Peel Board of Education working in the Business Studies Department. The main topics I taught were Entrepreneurship Success, Computers Studies and Accounting. For twelve of those years, I was Director of Business Studies overseeing a staff of 16 teachers and a large budget.
* January 1999 - I earned my Real Estate License and began selling waterfront cottages, homes and vacant land in and around Muskoka for the next two years.
* From 1999 to 2001 - Muskoka is a wonderful place to be working in Real Estate sales. The beauty of the surrounds, the type of people who are attracted to the area, and the unique construction of the buildings makes every day a new adventure.
* From 2001 to 2012 - The big city beckoned and I moved south to sell residential condos/single-family homes/vacant land in Toronto while finishing up my teaching career. This is a different world to pursue real estate sales in compared to Muskoka. There is a much faster pace of decision-making and sales. People were much more in a hurry to move and didn't often take the time to truly appreciate the process they were involved in. The responsibility on the shoulders of their Sales Reps is quite immense to make sure their needs were fulfilled and their rights protected.
* From 2007 to present - After retiring from 26 years of teaching High School, I was offered a position of Professor at the Ontario Real Estate College (OREA) which I have been a part of for the last ten years and will be until the College doors close once and for all in 2020. This has been a very rewarding career helping students understand the real estate process and the important part they play in it. The training went way beyond the basics of sales as I tried my best to instill in each student the ethical responsibilities they were undertaking to protect their clients interests in the real estate transaction.
* March 2012 - Twelve years of real estate sales in the big city was enough for me. Sharon and I decided to move back to Muskoka where our hearts were. We have never looked back. Each new season brings with it its own delights and experiences to enjoy. There is no better a place to sell real estate than in Muskoka.
* From 2015 to present - A position became available that I thought would allow me to continue sharing my years of experiences with the next generation of sales representatives. An opening for Broker of Record/Manager of Century 21 Huntsville Brokerage was being advertised. I never had contemplated this career move as I was quite happy in sales, but the time involved plus the opportunity to work with some great people and affect their lives was too good to turn down. It has been and is a challenging and rewarding position.
* May 2017 - Appointed Director on The Lakelands Real Estate Board. This additional opportunity came my way to give back to the profession that has given so much to me. The Lakelands Board Office is staffed with wonderful, dedicated people that are a huge asset to the membership. I am proud to serve with such a committed group of Board members who are constantly pursuing the best future for the Lakelands members.
* July 2018 - I signed a one-year contract with NIIT (Canada) which provides online learning solutions for enterprises. They have been selected by Humber College to convert the Provincial real estate licensing program to online training. This will be a very interesting process to go through to experience the steps required to move 60 years of classroom, textbook based learning to the digital arena.