Projects that require residential building permits in Oakville are*:
- Construction of a new home,
- Addition of a carport, garage or room to an existing home,
- Construction or finishing of rooms in basment or attic,
- Addition of dormers,
- Enclosing a porch or deck,
- Converting a garage space into a living space,
- Addition of a deck if over 2 feet above the adjacent grade or if it is to be attached to the house
- Raising a house or excavating a crawl space to provide a full basement,
- Constructing or installing accessory buildings (garage or shed) larger than 107 square feet,
- Designated structures such as retaining walls or solar panels,
- A structure of any size that contains plumbing,
- Wood burning fireplaces and other heating appliances including the alteration, replacement or extension of ductwork,
- Geothermal systems,
- New water service, new sewers, alteration or extension of existing plumbing system.
For more information about how to apply for a residential building permit in Oakville please visit the Town of Oakville web site.
*source: http://oakville.ca/residents/permits.html with permission.