Saskatoon Fire & Protective Services urges residents to keep fire safety in mind as they celebrate this festive season. Everything from dry Christmas trees to overloaded electrical circuits can pose a threat to your family’s safety. Please keep these fire safety tips in mind:
·If you purchase a real Christmas tree, make sure to choose the freshest tree possible. Choose a tree with a bright green colour and a strong fragrance. Very few needles should fall off when the tree stump is tapped on the ground. Needles should bend, not break and the stump should be sticky with resin.
·Make sure the tree stump stays immersed in water. Choose a stand that holds 2 - 3 litres of water, cut the stump off at an angle and top up the water in the stand daily. If the water goes below the trunk, the stump will seal over with resin and need to be re-cut.
·Make sure your tree does not block an escape route from your home and that it isn’t near a fireplace, heat register, or television.
·Use outdoor lights outdoors only (the same applies to indoors). Outdoor lights should not be used indoors because they can get too hot, and indoor light strings/sets do not have weatherproof connections required for outdoor use. Always unplug lights before leaving home or going to bed.
·Check all lights and extension cords, new and old, for broken and cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections and throw out damaged ones. Be careful not to overload wall outlets. Plugs should be fully inserted into electrical outlets as poor contact may cause overheating and/or shock.
·Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to sleep. Careless use of candles is a leading cause of fires.
·Avoid coiling or bunching up extension cords that are in use because they will overheat. Be careful not to run extension cords under furniture, carpets, or across walking paths.
Saskatoon Fire & Protective Services wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday season.