What is a Buyer Representation Agreement?

If you have ever sold a house in Alberta you have signed an agreement with a REALTOR® explaining what your working relationship will be. If you have bought a home in Alberta you may have been asked to sign a similar document.

Effective July 1, 2014, Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) will require industry members who establish a client relationship when trading in residential real estate, property management or when dealing in mortgages to enter into a written service agreement with that client.

As a homebuyer, this means that you will be required to enter into a written service agreement stating the expectations of your relationship with any professional dealing in residential real estate, property management or when dealing in mortgages.

For someone entering into the homebuying process this can come across as something that will restrict you, it’s not. In regards to the representation relationship “whether that is an exclusive right to represent or not, RECA is simply requiring it to be done through a written service agreement. Homebuyers will have the option of entering into either an exclusive or a non-exclusive service agreement, your REALTOR® will explain the options to you.

RECA and Alberta Real Estate Association (AREA) have re-written the forms to be easier to read and understand. REALTORS® will guide their clients through these new forms to ensure that they are represented in a manner that meets expectations.

If you have any questions about this new agreements that are soon to be become mandatory when being represented by a Real Estate Professional, do not hesitate in contacting me.

Edgardo Giacone

Edgardo Giacone

CENTURY 21 Bamber Realty Ltd.
Contact Me