You may think that selling your home on your own seems an easy enough task and that you will not be paying anyone else to do a job that you can do yourself, right?
Well......how will you determine the right price? But is that the only thing a good real estate agent does? In fact, unless you are willing to invest the time to read up on local laws concerning the sale of property and exchanging of titles and then to work alongside an attorney to make sure all the contracts are properly dealt with among a lot of other responsibilities and risks, it is often worth the relatively small fee of using a real estate agent compared to the incredible number of problems you might face handling it alone!
After all, you would feel more than a bit silly if you had saved the cost of hiring a real estate agent but lost your house due to a mistake made on your contract, wouldn’t you?
A good agent will:
1. Offer you advice from the perspective of somebody who has not lived in the property before
- While you may have sentimental value for certain aspects of your home, a good agent will be able to quickly tell you what needs to be done to increase the sale value for the house because their bottom-line is to sell your property for as much as they possibly can.
2. They have more information available to them than you do regarding similar house sales in the area not just at the moment of listing for sale but over the past year
- They can often provide advice on whether you should wait a little longer or to sell as soon as possible, advice which might not be easily accessible by somebody without connections or real estate understanding.
3. They have training and education on local laws concerning the sale of property and exchanging of titles and can make sure all the contracts are properly dealt with. They then liase with your Lawyer or Notary to make the sales transaction a smooth one
- it is often worth the relatively small fee of using a real estate agent compared to the incredible number of problems you might face handling it alone.
4. A professional real estate agent will have more advertising options and experience available to them than most people would
- They are able to do everything from create custom brochures through to flyers and signs and are then able to distribute these in such a way that people who may not have heard about the opportunity otherwise will be able to find out about the sale of your house. You very often pay absolutely nothing up front until your home has sold.
5. A real estate agent can help organize open house events
- Having external help in the form of a real estate agent means that they will take care of a lot of the more time-consuming activities such as organising open houses which, if you are currently employed, can take up a lot of your time and might negatively affect your work.
It's easy to think you can do all this yourself but, especially in the case of a good real estate agent, it is often a much harder thing to actually perform above and beyond the required standard. When you have as much money on the line as you do when selling your home, missing out on important information or expertise to save a little money could prove to cost you an awful lot in the end!