Carbon Monoxide Detectors
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, carbon monoxide poisoning is the
leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. Carbon monoxide detectors are available, but
you need to understand how they work and what their limitations are in order to decide whether or
not you need a detector and, if you purchase a detector, how to use it to get the best protection.
What is Carbon Monoxide? Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas. Each carbon
monoxide molecule is composed of a single carbon atom bonded to a single oxygen atom. Carbon
monoxide results from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, such as wood, kerosene, gasoline,
charcoal, propane, natural gas, and oil.
Why is Carbon Monoxide Dangerous? When carbon monoxide is inhaled, it passes from the lungs
into the hemoglobin molecules of red blood cells. The result is that the body becomes oxygen-starved,
which can result in tissue damage and death. Low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning cause
symptoms similar to those of the flu or a cold, including shortness of breath on mild exertion, mild
headaches, and nausea. Higher levels of poisoning lead to dizziness, mental confusion, severe
headaches, nausea, and fainting on mild exertion. Ultimately, carbon monoxide poisoning can result in
unconsciousness, permanent brain damage, and death. Carbon monoxide detectors are set to sound
an alarm before the exposure to carbon monoxide would present a hazard to a healthy adult.
Where Should I Place a Carbon Monoxide Detector? Because carbon monoxide is slightly lighter
than air and also because it may be found with warm, rising air, detectors should be placed on a wall
about 5 feet above the floor. The detector may be placed on the ceiling. Do not place the detector
right next to or over a fireplace or flame-producing appliance. Keep the detector out of the way of pets
and children. Each floor needs a separate detector. If you are getting a single carbon monoxide
detector, place it near the sleeping area and make certain the alarm is loud enough to wake you up.
For more information follow the link below