Being happy and being successful don’t necessarily come hand-in-hand. While being happy may very well require being successful, being successful does not guarantee happiness.
Happiness is more complex because it encompasses the entirety of your life — every aspect adds up to a single whole.
What matters most is that you have the right outlook and the right habits — habits that allow for happiness to manifest.
Here is a list of 25 such habits of happy and successful people that I’ve compiled in hopes of giving you a solid guideline to living the life of your dreams:
1. They forget who they were and focus on who they want to be. If you don’t let go of your past then you won’t find your future.
2. They are sure of themselves and stick to their guns. Uncertainty is the key component of failure.
3. They are willing to admit when they are wrong. If you can’t accept that you’re wrong then there’s no room to learn.
4. They surround themselves with those who are worthy. Your friends make you who you are.
5. They allow unwarranted and hateful criticism to roll off their shoulders. You will always have haters — learn to ignore those that are just trolling.
6. They accept constructive criticism. You aren’t always right; others may have a clearer perspective than yourself.
7. They focus and act on what they believe is right and don’t act simply to please. If you’re constantly pleasing others then you won’t have time to please yourself.
8. They see challenges as an opportunity to learn and to grow as individuals. If you’re never challenged then you’re never going to see the world from a different perspective.
9. They are open-minded. There’s always another way to do it — a way that may very well be better.
10. They are quick to adapt. If evolution has taught us anything, it’s this: those who adapt the fastest and most efficiently are those who survive.
11. They do the right thing because it’s the right thing. Having moral standards and following them alleviates the chances of feeling guilt.
12. They don’t complain. If the situation can’t be changed and you can’t avoid doing what you have to do, then there’s no reason to complain; it only weighs on your nerves.
13. If they start something, they finish it. If you’re not going to finish what you started, then why bother starting in the first place?
14. They exercise regularly. You are an animal and animals are made to move and to push their limits.
15. They read regularly. It’s the quickest way to learn how the world works.
16. They keep a well-balanced, nutritious diet. What you eat affects your body on a chemical level.
17. They take risks. Fear is acceptable as long as you overcome it.
18. They have no problem with saying “no.” Often at times, it’s the things and opportunities that you turn down that allow for success to manifest.
19. They meditate and learn to control their breathing. Breathing is the link between our conscious and subconscious mind.
20. They focus on the moment. Life can only be lived in the moment.
21. They question convention. The way things are done isn’t always the best way to do things.
22. They care for and want to give back to human kind. We are all related and all connected.
23. They learn from others, their heroes and mentors. Having guidelines makes life easier.
24. They learn from the mistakes of others before they make the mistakes themselves. History does not need to repeat itself.
25. They respect others and expect respect in return. We are all equal and should all be treated kindly and respectfully
*This document has been copied from an external source