Most people feel confident about the basics of home security; like keeping all doors and windows locked, having a light on in the house while away, and never hiding a key outside in an obvious place. Yet, each year almost a million and a half properties are burglarized in North America.
If you are planning a trip somewhere warm this winter, or spending the Holidays away, here are some extra home security measures to help keep your home safe.
- Never hide a key outside. Thieves know all of the hiding places. Instead, ensure all family members have a key.
- Most home burglaries take place during the daytime. Be extra attentive about making sure doors and windows are locked while at work or running errands during the day.
- Look into a security system. Homes without an alarm system are 2.7X more likely to be targeted. 40% of household burglaries do not even involve forced entry.
- Thieves are able to slip in through unlocked windows or doors or properties.
- Most forced-entry attempts will be through sliding-style doors and windows. Make sure these have an extra bolt lock or a locking bar.
- Don’t show off possessions. An imported racing bike parked next to the garage, or expensive equipment clearly seen through a windows can be seen as an invitation.
- Take a look at the lighting and landscaping around your property. Are there spots where a thief could easily hide? If so, make some changes.
- When planning a trip, have a trusted neighbor pick up newspapers, flyers and anything else that may accumulate at your door.