I'm going to list my house – What papers do I need?

There are several important documents to have on hand when meeting with your real estate agent to list your home. Often times, this will involve a fair amount of digging through papers in the basement, but these are essential nonetheless.

Survey Showing Home: A survey of the property showing the location of the home is essential. This ensures both sides of the transaction are aware of the boundaries and location of the property, along with any buildings, easements or rights-of-way.

House Blueprints: Your REALTOR® (and the new home owners) will appreciate knowing the exact dimensions of your home. When considering additions to the current building or a major renovation, the contractor may ask for them. If you are aware of any discrepancies between the blueprints and actual home, please make a note to accompany to blueprints.

Current Property Tax Bill: As Benjamin Franklin said, “Nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes” Buyers will need to know the current taxes for the number crunching on their end, and your REALTOR® will need to include this information on the MLS listing.

Hydro/Gas Bills: Buyers will want some idea of how much it will cost to heat their home. Try and have the past year's bills ready for your REALTOR's® inspection, and keep it handy for easy viewing during showings.

| Seth Ferguson is a Sales Representative with CENTURY 21 Future Realty Inc., in Milton, Ontario.  He serves Halton Region, including Milton, Georgetown, Oakville, Burlington and Acton.  Looking to buy or sell?  www.sethferguson.ca. |

Blog Archives