It is that time of the year, we are all starting our Spring Cleaning expedition...
Cleaning your entire house can be a daunting task, but these 10 Tips will help you get it done in a breeze.
- Work from the top down, inside to outside, to avoid getting what you just cleaned dirty again.
- Do one room, even one area of one room, at a time to avoid unfinished jobs. The satisfaction of seeing one room sparkle will make the hard work feel like it's worth the effort.
- When tidying, reduce trips around the house by temporarily depositing items in one spot en route but not at their final destination.
- Do two things at once. While laundry is going, scrub the shower stall.
- Make small repairs. If you're not handy, hire someone.
- Invest in good rubber or vinyl gloves to protect your hands.
- Dust before vacuuming or cleaning the floor. Try feather or lambswool dusters, especially expendable ones for reaching above window and door casings and into corners. Household rags are invaluable for jobs requiring a damp cloth - natural fibres work best.
- Buy mops with a squeeze mechanism (great for vinyl, linoleum or ceramic floors) and a decent-size heavy-duty pail - one with a measuring scale helps get soap-to-water ratios correct.
- Don't stand your brooms on their bristles. It will destroy their shape and diminish their effectiveness. Instead, get a broom holder.
- Use a Swiffer® for light dusting, or your favourite broom or vacuum attachment to clean hardwood floors. Then damp-mop with a mild cleaner such as Murphy Oil Soap.