Moving with children to a new home can be stressful, so make sure you break the news and narrate the process. This can often be difficult for children; so once you have made the final decision show your children the nearby surroundings, school, parks to help them transition smoothly. Make it sound like a adventure and throughout the journey help them understand the fun you have planned in the new home. Let them help you in packing their toys this will help them in the long run to adjust to the relocation. Children are different so make sure to speak their language and at all times make the whole process sound like an amazing adventure to growing up. Some recommendations to help stay on the same the page with your kids are mentioned below;
- Let your kids know about the move as soon as possible.
- Have an open discussion with the children, sharing the details you think they will comprehend, asking them questions and listening to their questions or concerns.
- Depending on the ages of your children, they will likely react differently to the move. So if they hesitate about the move a tour of the new surroundings always works to help them transition.
- Try and get the kids involved in every aspect of the relocation, from the house hunting to the planning to the sorting and packing of your belongings.
- Make sure kids pack a special box with their most treasured possessions. Encourage them to decorate the box, and ensure that this carton is loaded last. This helps is avoiding their treasured possessions which may tend to be left behind.
- Ask younger children for their input on decorating or arranging items in the new home, and let older children decorate their own space.
- Provide your children with plenty of time to say good-bye to their friends and other people that are special to them in the community. Encourage them to exchange contact information so that they can keep in touch with friends.
- Continue your child's current activities in your new community - continuity will make adjusting to a new location much easier and the transition much less jarring.
There is no one solution for making moving with children easier. However, by using some of the above tips, you can greatly ease the stress of relocating on your kids. Ensure that your kids are well-adjusted to their new living situation by involving them in the move process at some point during every stage, the pre-move, the packing and loading and the unloading. As an added bonus, kids can be a great help when it comes to organizing and packing your belongings!
Moving with children can be a rewarding experience for both you and them. Create an atmosphere of adventure and excitement during your move, and watch your kids enjoy the experience of a new journey. Leave us your comments on some handy tips that have helped you in moving to a new home