Municipal Home Ownership Assitance Program

Looking for property in the municipality of Laval?  Please take a time to read the program you may be eligible.  

 Municipal Home Ownership Assistance Program

Assistance to young families who buy an existing house or have a starter home built in older districts.

Ville de Laval wants to help young families like yours settle into certain older districts on its territory. For this purpose, it is granting you financial assistance upon the purchase of a home. This assistance consists of a rebate on the amount of real estate transfer taxes if you purchase an existing home or have a starter home built. Added to that is a property tax credit over a 5-year period if the house that is purchased is new.

This is a summary of the rules governing the application of the Municipal Home Ownership Assistance Program. Only Ville de Laval’s Bylaw L-11000 has legal value.

Extended until December 31, 2011. Forms will be added soon.

 Important notice

You must wait until you are moved in and living there before sending your application form.



311 or
450 978-6888 
(from outside Laval)

Urban Planning Department :
450 680-5500 or
450 680-5555

 Are You Eligible?

In order to be eligible for financial assistance, you must meet certain conditions:

  • The house must be located in one of the older districts of the City, identified for the purposes of the program. Click here to see the detailed map of the eligible districts.

  • Your building must be solely used for residential purposes and have 1, 2, 3 or 4 dwelling units. Every co-owned dwelling unit (condominium) is also eligible.

  • The homeowner must be an occupant of the building. If there is more than one owner, each co-owner must occupy the building.

  • The homeowner must occupy the dwelling unit with one child under 18 years of age who is related to him or his spouse through blood relations or adoption, OR IF NOT, the dwelling unit must be the first property, used for dwelling purposes, for each of the owner-occupants.

  • An application for financial assistance must be submitted to the Service de l’urbanisme by the owner-occupant on the special form for this purpose, before January 31, 2012.

  • Any owner who has already obtained financial assistance under this program is not eligible a second time. 

  • To be eligible for a rebate of real estate transfer tax, the building must have been subject to a transfer of property rights, between January 1, 2007 and December 31, 2011, to the private individual who occupies the dwelling. Buildings that have already benefited from a renovation tax credit may be eligible for the rebate on real estate transfer tax under this program.

  • For a rebate of property tax, a new building must have been built, the work must have been subject to a building permit and this work must have been completed between January 1, 2007 and December 31, 2011.



Two forms of assistance that may be added

The financial assistance granted consists of:

for an existing or new house: a rebate, up to a maximum of $1,000, of the amount of the real estate transfer tax applied at the time of the transfer of property to the owner. This does not apply to anyone who constructs a new building himsel.

for a new house: a rebate, over a period of 5 years, up to a maximum of the amounts indicated below, of a percentage of property tax attributable to the re-evaluation of the unit of assessment (excluding the value of the property) following completion of the construction of a new building.

This percentage is established as follows:

• 50% of property tax for the next 12 months, following the completion of the work (maximum of $1,250)
• 50% of property tax for the next 12 months (maximum of $1,250)
• 25% for the next 12 months (maximum of $750)
• 25% for the next 12 months (maximum of $750)
• 15% for the next 12 months (maximum of $450)



Ginabe Del Castillo

Ginabe Del Castillo

Real Estate Broker
CENTURY 21 Immo-Plus
Contact Me