Ghosts and Carbon Monoxide Alarms…Really?

Can Carbon Monoxide Make Your Home Haunted? In a story titled “A True Tale Of A Truly Haunted House”,, the author, Albert Donnay, tells of a family who claimed they saw ghosts in their home.

It was ultimately discovered that they were being poisoned by carbon monoxide and such was the cause of their ghostly sightings, hallucinations, headaches, lethargy, loss of appetite, as well as other ailments. The tale was originally published in the American Journal of Ophthalmology in 1921. To read it, go

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a public health issue and alarms are now mandatory.

As of October 15, 2014, the Ontario Fire Code has been updated to make installation of carbon monoxide alarms mandatory in all homes and multi-unit buildings, such as apartments, hotels and condominiums. Homes built after 2001 already have this requirement.

This gas is both subtle and sinister because it takes hold of you when you are totally unaware, especially since you can’t smell, taste or see it. Typically it afflicts while you’re sleeping and can cause death or disability. According to the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs, “88% of all homes have something that poses a carbon monoxide threat. For full article, go to Wikipedia states, “Carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common type of fatal air poisoning in many countries.[23]

Alarms are best located near or within sleeping areas and all floor levels. As importantly, detectors should not be hidden or blocked by furniture or other household items.

Carbon monoxide in homes is produced mainly by carbon-based fuels such as natural gas, gasoline, and wood, heating oil, coal and kerosene through the use of motor vehicles, tools, heaters and cooking appliances.

Warning Signs.As noted by the OAFC, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause some of the following:

  • “Headache, nausea, burning eyes, fainting, confusion, drowsiness.
  • “ Often mistaken for common ailments like the flu,
  • “Continued exposure to higher levels may result in unconscious, brain damage and death.
  • The elderly, children and people with heart or respiratory conditions may be particularly sensitive...”.

Wikipedia adds, “Carbon monoxide can also have severe effects on the fetus of a pregnant woman.” Chronic exposure to low levels can lead to depression, confusion, and memory loss. Installing alarms, ventilation and maintenance of appliances are the best defense.

Gino Villella

Gino Villella

Sales Representative
CENTURY 21 Today Realty Ltd., Brokerage*
Contact Me

Blog Archives