In just a few weeks, we will be celebrating Oakville's 2016 Community champions! Yes, it has been a year since our Town named some outstanding people and organizations and the nominations for our modern day heroes are open again!
It is no secret that all of us knows of a few persons, probably colleagues, family members, or friends who spend countless hours supporting various community activities and volunteering for a cause. Their generosity made our community a much better place. Wouldn’t it be great to let them know how much they are appreciated by nominating them for an Oakville Community Spirit Award?
Got a favourite community champion? Now is your chance to nominate that person or organization! Here is a copy of the nomination form in printable PDF format but you can also post your nomination online. If you much prefer a hard copy nomination form, it is available for pick-up at all town-owned culture and recreation facilities plus the Town Hall.
How to Nominate?
If you want to nominate a person or an organization, you must complete the Oakville Community Spirit Awards nomination checklist because only complete nomination packages will be considered. The following must be in the nomination package:
- A duly completed nomination form.
- A 250 words nomination statement that summarizes the nominee’s notable achievements or contributions in the selected award category. See asample nomination statement at this link.
- Must include at least one reference or testimonial plus any media articles that support the nomination. See a sample of that here.
There are also submission requirements that will have to be followed, namely:
- The nominees must be volunteering at an Oakville organization.
- An updated application form is required for previous nominations.
- Re-nominations for past recipients are only allowed in a different award category.
The nominations for the 15th Annual Oakville Community Spirit Awards will officially be closed on the 11th of April 2016.
Who Will Get Selected?
As for the selection criteria of the award nominees, they must demonstrate:
- Unique or special qualities that show how the organization or person has made a difference in the Oakville community,
- Leadership, innovation, creativity and dedication; and
- Long-term impact or benefits to the community.
The selection process will be done by a Selection Committee comprising of community leaders and Council members who will review every nomination and select the recipients. With this in mind, the Selection Committee has the right to move a nomination to another category if deemed more appropriate and of course, whatever their decisions are will be final.
Awards and Recognitions
The award categories include Access Award, Arts Award, Group Volunteer Award, Individual Volunteer Award, Heritage Award, Senior Award, and Youth Award. The chosen Oakville Community Spirit Awards recipients will be notified in writing so that they can attend the awards ceremony at the Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre on the 8th of June 2016. All nominees will receive one complimentary ticket so they too can attend the reception. Additional tickets can be bought for a minimal $15 fee.
Like the community spirit at close-knit Oakville? You’ll love it more when you’ve made our Town your home! Check out some of the beautiful luxury homes in Oakville and you might just find one that speaks to your heart. Contact us to schedule a viewing soon!