Highlands East, comprised of several former townships and communities notably:
Cardiff is a former mining community, with the uranium the chief mineral being mined for several years, beginning in 1956.
Gooderham is built along Gooderham Lake, bordered on the south by the Irondale River and Pine Lake to the north, located on a now defunct railway line, the IB&O Railroad, which has been since converted into a trail network.
Tory Hill is so named because, it is written, when Alexander Niven, Liberal Candidate, came electioneering to the settlement, it did him little good as he received only one vote. In exasperation, he said to John Anderson, “Jack, you get the Post Office you have wanted for a long time and you had better name it Tory Hill!” John was appointed the first postmaster, and subsequently named the village Tory Hill.
Wilberforce was established as "Pusey," a station on the Irondale, Bancroft and Ottawa Railway (IB&O), and named for railway president Charles J. Pusey. This little railway had initially been built to carry iron ore from open pit mines in Irondale.
Highland Grove - Elmer Hughey, one of the earlier postmasters, explained that Highland Grove was so named because it boasted the highest point of elevation in the County. On one side of a nearby hill, water flows in the direction of Haliburton and on the other toward Bancroft's York River.
When you are here you can look forward to
- swimming lessons in the summer at one of 3 locations; Cardiff Pool, Wilbermere Beach or Pine Beach
- Mineral Collection - Unleash your inner Rock Hound! Hobby Mineral Collecting is a fun outdoor recreational pursuit that people of all ages can enjoy, and it makes for a great family outing. Adults and kids alike will delight in the chance to dig for buried treasure, get hands-on with the unique geology that defines the Highlands region, and bring home some colourful gems of your very own!
- Gooderham 140th Anniversary Celebrations! -Everyone is invited to the big party! There will be all types of Heritage Displays depicting Gooderham's history including live demonstrations of quilting, knitting, crocheting, rope making etc.
- 2013 Highlands East Studio Tours - The Highlands East Studio Tour is expanding the workshops that were introduced to such great success in 2012.
- Hike or Bike Highlands East with trails marked here