On August 31st, Ford celebrated a huge milestone. At a plant in Thailand, a Focus was built that marks the 350 millionth vehicle produced by the Ford Motor Company in it's 109-year history.
This got me thinking about our own plant, Oakville Assembly, and the history the industrious giant of East Oakville. The Oakville plant first opened in 1953, and has produced exclusive models including the LTD, Tempo, Topaz, Windstar and Freestar. The complex received a 1-billion dollar overhaul in 2006. Along with 440 robots on the line, the new plant is able to adjust the output of the cars to respond quickly to customer demand for a particular model. This makes it one of the most advanced auto plants in the world. Oakville Assembly is the only plant in the world that's home to both the Flex and the Edge and it has the ability to turn out a car literally every minute. That’s over 200,000 vehicles a year!
If you've never seen the inner workings of the Ford plant, Rick Mercer and Buzz Hargrove learned how to make a car there in 2007. Priceless!
Here are some facts of figures from Oakville Assembly:
- The factory spans 5, 464 000 square feet
- The first car plant on this site opened in 1953, and produced nearly all of the vehicles for Ford in Canada until 1966.
- It was the site of production for the company's minivans but was renovated with a $1 billion investment to produce crossover CUVs by 2006.
- The plant currently employs approximately 3,000 workers.
- The plant also employs 440 robots help to assist in the production of new automobiles.
- As of 2002, up to 211000 new vehicles can be manufactured and assembled within a typical year.
Cars produced at Oakville Assembly:
- 1975–1982 Ford LTD
- 1984–1994 Ford Tempo
- 1984–1994 Mercury Topaz
- 1995–2003 Ford Windstar
- 2003–2007 Ford Freestar
- 2003–2007 Mercury Monterey
- 2007–present Ford Edge
- 2007–present Lincoln MKX
- 2008–present; Ford Flex
- 2010–present Lincoln MKT
Thank you for reading.
IF YOU'D LIKE TO WIN 500 AIR MILES, YOU HAVE UNTIL FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30TH TO LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE. IT'S EASY! HIT THE FACEBOOK BUTTON BELOW TO GO TO MY PAGE AND HIT THE "LIKE" BUTTON. A WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED AND CONTACTED THROUGH FACEBOOK.
As always, if you would like to discuss your current real estate situation, I would love to offer my expert knowledge. You can reach me at 905 339 5270, or by email at email@example.com.
Passionate About Real Estate. Devoted to My Clients.
CENTURY 21 MILLER REAL ESTATE LTD.
467 Speers Road
Ontario, L6K 3S4
Direct Line: 905.339.5270 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org