It was just announced today on the local Peterborough Radio station CRUZ and will be probably a news feature on CHEX News that the terrible fire deaths of the father and 12 year daughter in Toronto on Sunday could have been prevented.
The fire marshal's office investigation found that a pot of oil left on the stove started the fire and that the smoke detector downstairs was not operating. The marshal's office was not able to determine if the upstairs detector was operating or not. However, the Fire Marshall stated that these 2 deaths were preventable!
This Sunday we change our clocks an hour and Spring Forward to daylight savings time. Please check all your smoke detectors on all levels of the building to make sure they are operating. The next time you are at the hardware store or building supply store in town, pick up a small fire extinquisher. You can buy one for under $ 20.00 and it may just save your life.
Although I am not involved with Easter Seals anymore ( I let new more energetic volunteers take my place ) their telethon is Sunday March 14th from noon to 5 PM. This year it is an all local production so tune in and please send in a donation. Ten of my Century 21 associates will be manning the phones from 4 to 5 PM.