Happy Nowruz (Norooz) 2016!
Wishing you a wonderful Nowruz (Norooz).
May every day of the New Year glow with cheer and happiness to you, your family and dear friends.
What is Nowruz (Norooz)?
Norooz, or Nowruz marks the Persian New Year, that commences today. It is a celebration that's name combines the Persian words "now" and "ruz" which translates to the meaning "new" and "day".
When is Nowruz (Norooz)?
It is a time of year when followers celebrate the coming of spring, (and) the renewal of nature, new life and new beginnings. It always commences on the first day of Spring or Spring Equinox. This year Nowruz (Norooz) falls on March 20, 2016.
What is the Haft Seen for Nowruz (Norooz)? What are the Seven S's for Nowruz (Norooz)?
One of the most known traditions of Nowruz (Norooz) is the Haft Seen or The Seven S's. It is a tradition table setting that includes seven items that begin with the letter "S". These items are:
- Sabzeh – wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish – symbolizing green environment, happiness and rebirth.
- Samanu – a sweet pudding made from germinated wheat – symbolizing affluence.
- Senjed – the dried fruit of the oleaster tree – symbolizing firmness and tolerance.
- Sīr – garlic – symbolizing health.
- Sīb – apples – symbolizing beauty and love.
- Somaq – sumac berries –symbolizing patience.
- Serkeh – vinegar – symbolizing development and evolution.
The traditional colours of Norooz (Nowruz) are red, white and green. These are the colours of the flag for Iran.
Do you know more about Nowruz (Norooz) Comment below and let us know!