How to Inspect Your Home & Give it A Proper Checkup This Summer
- Inspect the air conditioning unit to make sure it’s in good working condition.
- The air conditioner must be sitting level and free from obstruction.
- Do not fully cover your air conditioning unit during the winter months or it will cause the fins to rust inside. Instead, consider covering it with a piece of plywood and secure it with a rock.
- Maintain your deck by ensuring it’s stained or painted on a regular basis.
- Check the overall structure of your deck every spring and fall.
- Ensure that there are proper footings to prevent your deck from sinking.
- Proper guardrails for your deck should be at least 36” to 42” tall.
- Ensure the entrance to your garage has a working fire-rated door, with auto closure.
- Check safety lasers on your automatic garage door openers and ensure that they are aligned and operational.
- Use a wood block to test garage door closure for pressure
- Check for common rodent entry points, including open gaps in the exterior. Seal them up where necessary.
- Another common entry point is where the A/C lines enter the house.