Lower Lonsdale is about to get a lot more exciting. The City of North Vancouver has chosen Quay Property Management Corp as its partner to develop The Shipyards – Lot 5. The plan is to create a, year-round, activity driven people place that will include an outdoor public skating rink and a water play area. The outdoor public skating rink will be the largest in the Lower Mainland!
- an outdoor public skating rink for use during the winter months, including a looped skating trail to complement the open rink area.
- a water play zone for use during the summer months, with a combination of pools and sprayers
- a covering for weather protection over the entire open space, complete with a retractable portion to allow for an open water play area in the summer
- significant heritage elements incorporated into the site development such as the use of the Machine Shop building as the covering structure over the open space
- enhanced public stage
- underground parking
- a commercial component, which will include restaurant, retail and proposed hotel use (hotel use will require rezoning)
- public support spaces, including public washrooms and unique community programming opportunities for both small and large events
- rubberized and non-skid surfaces, ample seating and viewing areas
- connection with the Spirit Trail and multiple access points for multi-modal transportation
- heritage elements and features