Owning a home is expensive, but there are things you can do to save on your day-to-day costs. Things you wouldn't even think about can add up every month and result in extra expenses. Everyone likes saving money - here are some steps you can take in your own home to cut monthly energy costs.
1. Be aware of the thermostat, and be smart about it. Most people go to work during the day and are not in their homes. Installing a programmable thermostat to lower the house temperature during the day by 10 degrees fahrenheit can reduce your heating costs by as much as 20 percent.
2. Lower water temperature. You probably won't even notice a difference, as people do not generally use the hottest water available. You can save upwards of 5 percent of your water bill by lowering the temperature of your water heater by as little as 10 degrees F. Also, touch your water heater - if it's cold to the touch, the water heater has sufficient insulation. If it is hot, then wrap a water heater jacket around it to increase efficiency.
3. Replace older appliances with newer, more energy efficient models. Over the course of a year, these old electricity-sucking appliances can add hundreds of dollars to your hydro bill. Whether it's an old air conditioner, water heater, or even an old microwave, every little bit counts!
4. Seal any leaks around the house. Sealing in hot air in the winter and cold in the summer can significantly reduce your heating / cooling bills. If your home has an attic, be sure to seal around the hatch so that you're not losing heat in the living area of your house.
5. Install energy-efficient compact fluorescent lightbulbs. They use one-quarter to one-third less energy than traditional incandescent lightbulbs. Additionally, CFL's can last up to 10 times longer than traditional lightbulbs.
By carrying through with these tips, you can reduce your monthly costs associated with home ownership. I hope you found some of these useful!
If you are thinking of selling your home in Burlington or Oakville, give Jamie Vieira a call today. He will ensure you get the maximum return on your real estate transaction through advanced marketing techniques and negotiation.
Thanks very much for reading. As always, if you would like to discuss your current real estate situation, I would love to offer my expert knowledge of the Oakville and Burlington markets. You can reach me at 905 845 9180, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Century 21 Miller Real Estate Ltd, Brokerage
Independently Owned and Operated
905 845 9180