March is upon us and spring is well on it's way. I thought this would be a good time to write up a blog with some advice on preparing your home for the spring market. This is the time of year that people typically contemplate selling their home so I wanted to give some advice to get the most money out of your investment.
Please note that we feel very strongly that you should still live in your home. None of these changes should make you feel like you aren't at "home" for the time being. It is also important to keep in mind that if you are motivated to sell you have to attract potential buyers and some changes may not be to your preference even though they are the preference of the general public. We hope you can use one or all of these tips to help your home get into tip top shape for the spring market.
Here we go!
1) DE CLUTTER: Of course if you follow decorating shows this is one of the most important steps you can take to adding value to your property. Clean off counter tops, tables, and night stands. In order for people to see your home properly you have to remove some of the "stuff" that is clouding it's image.
2) ORGANIZE: Try to de-clutter and organize cupboards thoroughout your home. People coming through will want to inspect the cupboard space to ensure it will fit all of their things. Also try to organize closets. Remove coats that are no longer in season, store linens in an organized fashion, and limit clothing hanging in bedroom closets. The less there is in a closet or cupboard - the bigger it looks!
3) MAINTAIN: If you have a fireplace, chimney, furnace, heat pump or septic it would be wise to have them serviced and cleaned before going to sell. Consumers like to know that the house and it's contents have been well cared for and have been serviced properly. It does not cost very much money to have any of these serviced but it does add value to the buyer. Buyers want to know that all aspects of the home are in good working order.
4) REPAIRS: Some minor repairs may help the resale value of your home. By having cracks filled, holes patched and trim painted your home will be less questionable to a buyer. Fix leaky faucets and realign cabinets in kitchens and bathrooms.
5) CLEANING: We want your home to sparkle so that everyone can see it in the best light! Areas to focus on include: windows, floors, bathrooms and kitchens. Often re-caulking tubs and showers, laying out fresh linens, cleaning out your fridge and polishing surfaces can add appeal to any home! If you have carpets consider having them cleaned to freshen the daily wear and tear they may have taken over the years.
6) LET THE LIGHT IN: Make sure that all rooms in your home have a LOT OF LIGHT! If some rooms seem darker than others consider changing the light fixture. Open the blinds to allow natural light to shine through the house. Be sure to change any light bulbs that have been burnt out.
7) PAINT: After living in a home for a few years the paint can fade, dirty, or become outdated. Before putting your home on the market consider re-painting. You want people to picture themselves living in your home and paint is a great way to create warmth and attract potential buyers. Modern colors and finishes are sure to impress!
8) CURB APPEAL: Go outside and clean up anything on the yard. Make sure the lawn and flower beds look fresh and well maintained. Touch up paint or straighten shutters and house numbers that may have shifted over the winter. Clean the walkway and driveway to provide an inviting atmosphere.
9) TEST IT YOURSELF: Go outside and look at your house from the street. Do you want to see the inside? Would it look attractive to your target market? Is it warm and inviting? Go inside and examine the furniture placement in each room. Is it accommodating? Is each room decorated or organized for it's best use?
The ultimate goal is to create a home that attracts a lot of potential buyers. You want others to be able to picture themselves living in your home! I hope that this has been educational and that you have taken a tip or two from my blog.
I would be happy to come over and personally walk through your home with you to give you a hand. We want you to get the most value for your home as you can, and by following these steps we believe you can maximize your investment!
Logan Keirstead, BBA