2013 has been a terrific year for Campbell River, with several new projects that will benefit our community for years to come. Here's my Top Ten list of the most interesting recent announcements:
2. New Campbell River Hospital http://www.viha.ca/about_viha/building_for_health/nihp.htm 95 beds, UBC teaching spaces, built adjacent to the existing hospital, which will be removed for parking once the project is completed.
3. Berwick Retirement Communities 123 bed retirement housing complex - This will be a prestigious retirement community - Berwick plans to build a mix of bachelor, one and two-bedroom units with a large dining room, library, exercise room, theatre, patio and gardens. The facility will include 62 underground parking spaces and will boast landscaping around the perimeter of the building as well as in a courtyard in the centre of the facility. http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/160750415.html
4. John Hart Regeneration Project - This project will begin in 2014 and take about five years to complete sometime in 2019. It is expected that about 400 jobs a year will be created during the course of the project. http://www.bchydro.com/energy_in_bc/projects/john_hart_generating.html
5. Seymour Pacific & Broadstreet Properties 5 story office building - the downtown core has already been immensely improved by the demolish of the long-vacant buildings on the construction site at St. Ann's and Alder. Congratulations to these two companies on the growth, and thank you for improving Campbell River, and maintaining your head offices in our community. https://www.broadstreet.ca/pressreleases/details.aspx?ID=18
6. Public Aquarium - Discovery Passage Sea Life Society purchased a 16' by 48' aquarium and has set it up as a tourist attraction in Campbell River. You can now view local undersea life on shore! http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/160750895.html
7. Suspension Bridge Over Elk Falls - Campbell River Rotary Club will build a 90 metre long suspension bridge above Elk Falls! The falls are spectacular when viewed from the ground - hanging above them will be incredible! http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/160441225.html
8. New Splash Park reflecting Campbell River's history and community is now open! http://hqcampbellriver.com/news/news/Local/12/06/19/New-park-makes-a-splash-in-Campbell-River
9. Former Coastline Mazda location has been redeveloped by owner Orla Jensen bringing newly renovated commercial, retail and office space to popular Willow Point. http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/166459156.html
10. 47 unit apartment has been built at Dogwood and Merecroft by local developer Brett Geise http://www.campbellriver.ca/Business/Newsroom/Documents/Major%20development%20permits%20July-12.pdf and a second apartment by a different developer on 2nd.
And I bet I missed some! In fact, if you follow the link directly above, I missed the new Target store made way by the US retail giant's purchase of Zellers. Let me know in the comments section what else I've missed!