Tried this recipe the other day and it was delicious!!! I didn't follow it to the T but made it my own with the ingrediants I had. Sooooooo good!!!
This is filled with vibrant colour and fresh flavour, thanks to the mango and red pepper. Serve with basmati rice and little bowls of green onions, coconut and cashews for everyone to help themselves. Garnish with cinnamon sticks.
- 2 mangoes , (about 2lb/1 kg total)2 2mangomangoes, (about 2lb/1 kg total)
- 1 sweet red pepper 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs 2 2lb lb(907 g) (907 g) boneless skinless chicken thighboneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil 2 2tbsp tbsp(30 mL) (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 onions , chopped2 2oniononions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced3 3cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp minced gingerroot 2 2tbsp tbsp(30 mL) (30 mL) minced gingerroot
- 2 tbsp mild Indian curry paste 2 2tbsp tbsp(30 mL) (30 mL) mild Indian curry paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin 1 1tsp tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 1/2tsp tsp(2 mL) (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper 1/2 1/2tsp tsp(2 mL) (2 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/4 1/4tsp tsp(1 mL) (1 mL) cinnamon
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour 1 1tbsp tbsp(15 mL) (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock 1-1/2 1-1/2cups cups(375 mL) (375 mL) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Balkan-style plain yogurt 1/2 1/2cup cup(125 mL) (125 mL) Balkan-style plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk 1/2 1/2cup cup(125 mL) (125 mL) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup tomato paste 1/4 1/4cup cup(60 mL) (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut 1/2 1/2cup cup(125 mL) (125 mL) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions 1/4 1/4cup cup(60 mL) (60 mL) thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped cashews 1/4 1/4cup cup(60 mL) (60 mL) toasted chopped cashewcashews
Pit mangoes; cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes. Seed, core and cut red pepper into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Set aside. Cut chicken into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes.
In large deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, in batches. Transfer to plate.
Drain fat from pan; add remaining oil. Fry onions, garlic, ginger, curry paste, cumin, salt, pepper and cinnamon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 7 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add chicken stock, yogurt, coconut milk and tomato paste; bring to boil, whisking until smooth. Reduce heat and simmer until spoon scraped across bottom of pan leaves gap that fills in slowly, about 15 minutes.
Return chicken and any juices to pan; cover and simmer until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 15 minutes.
Add mangoes and red pepper; simmer until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Serve with bowls of coconut, green onions and cashews to sprinkle over top.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2005