AVID Ratings Co.
- Large kitchens, with islands and granite counter tops. These are most popular among buyers trading up or buying custom homes.
- Energy-efficient appliances, insulation and windows. Rising energy costs are making these the most sought-after ‘green’ selling features.
- Home office/studies as alternatives to formal dining rooms.
- Main-floor master suites. These are must-haves for empty-nesters, says the survey.
- Outdoor living rooms. Livable outdoor spaces are gaining popularity in both Canada and the United States.
- Ceiling fans.
- Master suite soaker tubs. Large showers with seating areas are also becoming desirable.
- Stone and brick exteriors.
- Natural surroundings. These include community landscaping, walking paths and playgrounds.
- Two-car garages.
AVID Ratings Co. is a customer loyalty and survey management firm that works with the home building industry, and presents annual customer experience awards to builders in both Canada and the United States.
Freeing Yourself From Clutter
Freeing Yourself From Clutter
Painless steps for parting with ‘stuff’ that’s past its prime
No one is really sure how it starts, but over time, old collectibles, recipes, shoes and sports memorabilia can grow into overwhelming roommates.
The old rock collection lining the kitchen window; boxes of toys and scattered art supplies in the children’s room; stacks of cassette tapes and used electronics in the basement; piles of old bill statements, and expired beauty products bursting from your bathroom cupboards – clutter can be a real turn off for prospective home buyers.
Here are some tips for sorting and clearing clutter from your home.
The Box Method
The simplest way to organize clutter is to start with four large containers. Label them as follows:
- Resale/Donation – items that someone might enjoy as much as you once did
- Put Away - items you use now, that simply need to be organized
- Storage - items you use infrequently, that are taking up space in your home
- Recycle/Trash – defunct electronics and computer equipment, broken and obsolete items, expired medications and cosmetics, newspapers and magazines.
The above categories force you to make a decision. If you have a lot of trash or recyclable materials, including large items like furniture and appliances, you may want to hire the services of a junk removal company.
Clothing and Shoes
Organized and spacious-looking closets are an attractive home selling feature. In the spring, go through your closets and move winter clothing to storage. Vacuum storage bags can significantly reduce the space taken up by clothing and bedding off season, and allow you to store them under your bed.
Simplicity is Everything
It is always important for a home to appear lived in – just keep it simple. Less clutter gives the appearance of more space, and allows potential buyers to imagine your home as their own.
Jeremy Moore, Sales Respresentative
Century 21 United Realty*
Office: 705 743 4444
Cell: 705 931 0893
Toll Free: 1 877 272 4040