Nobody likes cleaning the gutters, but at this time of the year falling leaves and debris gather in the gutters and need to be cleaned out. Clogged gutters can cause a lot of damage to your house. They have one very important task – controlling the water around your home and if debris keeps them from doing their job, serious problems can result. Rain flowing over windows, doors, and siding can rot fascia as well as door and window framing. It can also erode the soil around your home and damage its foundation, and also cause a wet basement, mold, and mildew. Keeping gutters clean is the best way to avoid these kinds of major and expensive repairs.
Try these tips to help keep gutters operating properly and to protect your home.
1. Be Safe. Always use a solid, quality ladder to reach the gutters.
2. Use the right tools. To make the job easier, there are scoops on the market that are flexible and shaped to fit gutters.
3. Don’t over-reach. This can destabilize your ladder and cause you to fall.
4. While you’re at it, check the downspouts. If the spout is clogged, a coat hanger can help get the debris out. Then, use a garden hose to flush out any remaining debris. To prevent future clogging, cover the downspout with a strainer.
5. Clean gutters anytime they need it. Now you know the importance of clean gutters, you’ll know why it’s vital to clean them out anytime they get full.