You will probably find that the outdoor humidity that we have been experiencing has crept its way into your home. On average you will want your homes relative humidity level to be around the 30-40% reading, once it starts to get above this you may start to experience the following:
- Musty smells
- Condensation on windows
- Wet stains on walls and ceilings
- Moldy bathroom and kitchens
- Allergic reactions, such as sneezing, coughing, itching...
Humidity promotes mold growth and dust mite population growth. Both are significant indoor allergens and can set off allergic sensitivity. These high humidity levels in your home can also cause swelling or expansion of all the wood materials in your home, often noticed in hardwood flooring.
If the indoor humidity is too high, experts recommend you tackle the problem with dehumidifiers, ventilation, air conditioning and even what you out on your floors.
Make sure you turn on the kitchen and bathroom vent fans if you have them, this will vent the areas that create moisture. If your home does not have vent fans consider having an electrician install one.
Visit the CMHC website for more information, www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/yohoyohe/momo/momo_002.cfm