1. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home & outside each bedroom.
2. Test smoke alarm batteries often, & change them when you change your clocks.
3. Keep a fire extinguisher in your home, as well as a fully charged flashlight.
4. Store matches and lighters in a safe spot, out of reach from children.
5. Never smoke or light candles when you are in bed or feeling tired.
6. Always unplug small appliances when they are not in use.
7. Never overload electrical circuits, and always replace cracked or frayed cords.
8. Have your furnace and chimney inspected and cleaned every year.