Buyers Beware - Understand contibuting factors to in-home air quality before you purchase!
We all know that good air quality in your home is one of the keys to healthy living. We need to understand what potential toxins are in the home before we purchase so that we can make an informed decision as to the risk and cost to remedy if required.
When searching for a new home be sure you have your qualified home inspector search for any signs of moisture (mould), asbestos based products and vermiculite insulation inside the home. All of these things may be hazardous to your health depending on several factors; the type, the amount, if air borne or sealled.
- Small amounts of mould may be able to be cleaned up without the need to hire professionals. Use an approved breathing apparatus (mask) if you attept to do yourself. It is always best to consult a professional before you undertake a clean-up.
- Some vermiculite attic insulation is contaminated with asbestos and is recommended that it be removed right away. Other kinds of vermiculite is considered acceptable. There are local testing labs that can clarify that for you.
- Asbestos is often found in attic insulation, pipe insulation, around duct and flooring vents and in plaster walls and ceilings in older homes. The health risk is if and when these products are disturbed or break down over time and become air borne, they can be hazardous to your health. It is best to not disturb them, seal where possible or remove altogether.