When you're trying to get top dollar for your home it's important to "dress it up" in order to show potential buyers that your property is worth every penny that you're asking for. Proper home staging can not only help separate your home from other properties that you're competing with but it can also allow potential buyers to envision themselves living in the house.
I believe home staging is vital to getting my clients top dollar for their property, which is why I make it a point to include home staging services as part of my standard offering when clients list their home with me.
Having said that, I've put together a few useful tips that you can use in order to stage your home and help your property not only stand out, but also sell in a timely manner.
1) Keep your kitchen clean and counters clear - Keep the kitchen sparkling clean and make sure you keep small appliances put away and not out on your kitchen counter tops. Potential buyers want to get a a sense of the kitchen's workspace so keeping your counters clear is a must.
2) Remove Personal items - Keep in mind that buyers want to envision themselves living in the property. It's important to remove personal items from display such as family photos and personal effects that may detract from this vision.
3) Paint your home in neutral colors - Everyone's taste and style is different. Make sure to paint your home in neutral colors and paint over any brightly colored rooms that may put potential buyers off. Keeping with neutral colors will appeal to a larger number of buyers.
4) Update your bathrooms - Bathrooms are just as important as your kitchen. Some small improvements such as installing a new vanity or simply changing the lighting or mirror that's currently in the room can go a long way.
5) Make sure the Master is easy on the eyes - Some easy ways to dress up your master bedroom can include new linens (neutral colors) and fresh pillows to make the space more appealing. Keep the room bright and open your blinds to allow natural light into the room and show off the space.
While there are many other things we can work with you on to properly present your home come listing time, these 5 basic tips can really make a difference and I'd encourage all sellers not to underestimate the importance of "dressing up" their home.