DID YOU KNOW?
Snow or ice buildup could damage your gas meter, interrupt your gas supply, and cause your furnace to malfunction, or lead to a deadly Carbon Monoxide build up in your home.
During the winter, and especially after a storm, keep an eye on your natural gas meter and appliance exhaust vents.
Use a snow brush or broom to gently clear any snow or ice
Be careful using your shovel, plow or snow blower nearby
Don't kick, hit or use sharp objects to remove snow or ice
Never use salt, hot water or ice melting chemicals to remove snow or ice
Repair leaky eaves troughs or downspouts to prevent water from dripping on your gas meter or vents
Don't pile snow up against your gas meter or appliance vents
Ensure you have a working Carbon Monoxide alarm adjacent to all sleeping areas in your home
This is a monthly feature from Midland Fire Department's Prevention Officer.