If you're like most Canadians, your home is probably your most important investment. A regular schedule of maintenance and repairs can help you protect that investment - and keep your family healthy, safe and sound - for years to come.
Here is a checklist of simple inspections and repairs that can help you put a stop to the most common and costly problems before they occur, often in as little as a few minutes a week.
- Check and clean your range hood filters on a monthly basis.
- Use a dehumidifier, if necessary, to keep the relative humidity level in your basement at or below 60%.
- Check basement pipes for condensation or dripping, and take corrective action if needed.
- Refill the basement floor drain if the trap doesn't have enough water in it.
- Run water briefly in fixtures that aren't used frequently, such as the laundry tub or spare bathroom sink, tub or shower.
- Deep clean carpets and rugs, and vacuum the bathroom fan grille.
- Unplug the dryer and disconnect the duct connected to your clothes dryer and vacuum lint from the duct, the areas surrounding the dryer and the vent hood outside.
- Check all windows, door hinges and garage door opener hardware for smooth operation, and lubricate doors and hinges as required.
- Check the condition of paint and caulked joints.
- Inspect electrical service lines for secure attachment where they enter the house, and make sure no water is leaking into your home along the electrical conduit.
- Check the exterior siding and clean, replace or refinish it as needed.
- Seal off any holes in the exterior cladding that could become entry points for rain or pests - except for the vent holes located in brick walls.
- Check your roof for sagging or damaged shingles, and (taking proper safety precautions) examine all roof flashing's at chimney and plumbing penetrations for signs of cracks or leaks.
- Repair the driveway and walkways if needed, and repair any damaged steps, guardrails or handrails that could present a safety problem.
Home Maintenance Schedule provided by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org