Thinking about listing your home? There are a few things that every seller does before they put their home on the market. When you are getting ready to sell a home there are millions of things to do. So, how do you decide what to do and in what order? Here are 6 top things that every seller does before they put their home on the market and they should be on your list of things to do before the “For Sale” sign goes up.
- Clean. A thorough cleaning of your home helps to present your home in the best light and helps to assess its condition. Clean the windows, doors, light fixtures, appliances, drapes and carpets. Polish the floors and all other reflective surfaces and fixtures. If the job is too big, higher a maid. Make sure to tidy up and freshen up the home before each showing.
- Clear the Clutter. The longer we live in a home the more stuff we accumulate. The best way to purge of all the unnecessary/broken things is to move frequently. Clearing out the closets, basement, attic, and the garage is a must before putting the house on the market. Buyers are coming to see your house because they are thinking of buying it, not the stuff you accumulated in your house. Removing the clutter will showcase the features of your home and it will also make your move easier. If the job is too big, hire a professional service.
- Repair and Update. Most buyers are looking for a move-in ready home. Look for and repair any damage, small or big can break a deal. Be proactive and address as many issues as you can before listing your home for sale. Call in a local handyman to help you out.
- Paint. Painting is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to improve the appearance of a home. It will refresh the smell and feel of the interior of your home. Go for neutral colours to make it appealing to more potential buyers. Don’t overlook the outside; paint what you can, siding or even just the door. The home will look and feel like new!
- Stage. Staging helps your home look its best on pictures and showings. The placement of furniture can accent your home’s best features. Most buyers’ agents report that buyers respond positively to homes that have been staged.
- Landscape. The curb appeal is as important as the interior of the home. So, mow the lawn, pull the weeds out and prune any hedges and shrubs around the house. Check and repair the fence, the porch and the deck, shutters and gutters. Make it inviting for buyers to come inside.
Following these 6 steps to get your home ready for listing will help attract the right buyer faster, will help sell tat a higher price than otherwise, and it will make your move easier too. If you have family or friends who are thinking of listing their homes, forward this helpful information on to them.
Request a Free Seller’s Information Package today to find out more. If you need a professional to help you with any of these preparations, call me and tap into my Network of Professionals in Oakville, Burlington and the GTA.
Thanks for reading. As always, if you would like to discuss your current real estate situation, I would love to offer my expert knowledge of the Oakville, Milton, Burlington and Mississauga markets. I will also show you how my exceptional marketing plan will help you get more money for your home in less time and at the best price. You can reach me at 905 845 9180, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Join my Facebook page to stay connected.
Elizabeth Polak, Ph.D. ASA
CENTURY 21 Miller Real Estate Ltd.*
467 Speers Road,
Oakville, ON L6K 3S4
*Independently Owned and Operated **Source: Buffini & Company. July 2015.