Tips For Getting Your Home Ready
- PRICING IT RIGHT – No one wants their home to linger on the market, selling a home is very stressful and keeping it perfect for showings is difficult, so pricing it right helps the house sell quicker and puts an end to all that stress!
- EMPTY CLOSETS – Every buyer is looking for storage. Keeping closets clean and tidy is important so that the buyer can see how much space is really there.
- LIGHTS! – Light sells houses, so increase the number of lights in the home, add lamps, and increase the wattage where you can, make sure all burned out bulbs are replaced.
- MAKE SENSIBLE UPGRADES- You don’t have to make a huge renovation to sell your house, but a fresh coat of paint where it is required can do wonders for getting your house sold.
- TAKE THE PERSONAL OUT – Where staging differs from decorating is that Staging is about making the home neutral – and de-personalized. Decorating is about making a home your own, and “personalizing”. To sell – you want the buyers to see themselves in the space, not YOU. This includes taking down personal pictures, children's artwork and removing all items stuck on the fridge
- KITCHEN – Kitchens sell homes, so updating a kitchen always pays off. Changing cabinet hardware or painting a neutral colour is effective. Keep all surfaces clean and dishes put away. On your counters – less is more. If you can put it away – DO put it away. Buyers want to see clear counter space, not all of your small appliances.
- ALWAYS BE READY – This is hard – especially if you have children. You never know when you will have a showing so it is important to keep things tidy and vacuumed. If you have pets, you should make arrangements for them. A cat may not be a problem but a dog left in the house while people are coming for a showing is a problem and a liability.
- FIRST IMPRESSION – This is really the only impression. Make sure when a buyer comes to see the house, they aren’t distracted something you have neglected to do. Make sure there aren’t garbage bags outside the front door, or a barking dog, or children’s toys all over the floor.
- FIX THE PROBLEMS - The buyer will see things, so any general maintenance that has been put off needs to be addressed. Broken switches, door handles, holes in walls – little things matter, so pay close attention to the things that you’ve been living with and always planning to fix but haven’t yet got to it. We all have those things in our homes, but now is the time to get it looking perfect!
- CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN – make sure that floors shine, carpets are clean and all personal items are safely put away. Toilet seats should be down, and toilets and mirrors clean. There should be no smell at all in the house. No heavy air fresheners included. The perfect smell is no smell at all. Pets should be removed from the house, and evidence of pet ideally put away as well.
These are just a few key tips for helping you get ready! It's springtime and a great time to sell!! So let's get that house market ready!!
Taking the time to prepare your home for sale will ultimately save you time and stress and it will help you sell the home faster and get top dollar!