Winter Home Maintenance
Q? How should I prepare my home for winter?
A: The cold grip of winter is just around the corner and we have already had a white blanket of it this season. Here is a checklist of winter home maintenance tasks that we will conduct during a Home Maintenance Inspection.
- Inspection of your heating system
- Inspect your fireplace and chimney.
- Inspect dryer hoses and exterior dryer vents.
- Check furnace filter. Plan to change your filter every month during the winter to reduce energy costs.
- Check your air ducts. You can simply take off the register covers and vacuum inside if the duct system has been cleaned regularly.
- Check the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors.
- Check your fire extinguishers.
- Inspect your attic to make sure it is getting cool, fresh air and that there is no evidence of condensation.
- Check to ensure sprinkler systems are blown out and winterized and exterior faucets and water lines insulated.
- Check the condition of your deck and waterproofing sealant.
- Check weather-stripping on doors.
- Check caulk on windows.
- Check roof for damaged or missing shingles or problems with flashing.
- Locate your snow removal tools: snow shovel, plows, and snow blowers. Make sure they are ready to go.
Courtesy of A Buyer's Choice Home Inspections.