The HST tax =13%
Combination of the 8% Provincial Sales Tax and the 5% Federal GST
creating a 13% Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)
The HST came into effect on July 1, 2010
HST Does apply to: (not a complete list)
* The purchase of newly constructed or substantially renovated homes.
* The services associated with the purchase of new homes and re‐sale homes
such as real estate commissions, legal fees, home inspection fees and moving
* Commercial property rentals and leases.
HST WILL NOT apply to: (not a complete list)
* The purchase of re‐sale homes
* Sale of housing that has been previously occupied by an individual as a
place of residence and that is exempt from GST would also be exempt for
purposes of HST
* Residential rent, condominium fees.
* Home insurance (which had been subject to provincial tax, but not GST).
* Mortgage interest costs.
To help homebuyers and builders better understand HST, the Government has
provided rules for the complete application of the tax