What is a REALTOR®?
Not every individual who is licensed to sell real estate is a REALTOR®. To be a REALTOR®, the salesperson must be a member of The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA).
A CREA member is expected to:
- Follow the REALTOR® Code, the accepted standard of conduct for all real estate practitioners who are REALTORS®. It’s the consumer’s guarantee of professional conduct and quality service.
- Be knowledgeable about developments in real estate. A REALTOR® provides the information you need to make an informed decision, compare prices, view neighborhood trends and understand housing market conditions and more.
- Actively update his or her education, through courses, workshops and other professional education to comply with current real estate laws and regulations.
- Utilize MLS® Systems to facilitate the cooperative sale of properties to benefit consumers.
Worth Doing Right
With all the options on the Internet today, it may appear that buying or selling a home is as easy as selling a couch on eBay. In fact it’s getting more complicated with increasing government regulations, laws and taxes. A home is the largest investment most of us make, so it’s worth doing right.
Reduced Stress, Better Outcome
Do you know the fair market value of the home you want to buy or sell? As a buyer, do you know what to look for to avoid potential problems? If selling, do you know what information you are required to disclose?
The wealth of knowledge a REALTOR® has will minimize stress and confusion and ensure your outcome is as prosperous as possible.
The REALTOR® Advantage
- Are licensed and regulated by the Manitoba government through The Manitoba Securities Commission (MSC)
- Have extensive training provided by MREA, ensuring compliance with the increasingly complicated regulations that could burden those homeowners trying to buy or sell on their own
- Complete mandatory education every year to be aware of current federal and provincial legislation and regulations
- Adhere to the national code of conduct, the REALTOR® Code, as set out by the Canadian Real Estate Association
2. Your REALTOR® is Your Ally
- Has a deep understanding of the dos and don’ts of buying and selling
- Knows how to price your home for the current market, striking a balance between not asking enough (and missing out on thousands of dollars) and asking too much (and driving away willing buyers)
- Is connected to a network of real estate professionals and brokers with decades of experience and are experts at the buying and selling process.
- Has all the tools you need to best promote and market your home
- Knows how to narrow the field in your house-hunting experience so you find the right home sooner
- Provides an objective opinion to help you make smart decisions and manage the emotion of buying or selling
3. REALTORS® are Experienced Negotiators
- Things can get heated when so much money is involved. REALTORS® are skilled negotiators and the buyer and seller don’t have to debate price head-to-head.
4. REALTORS® are Time Savers
- Eliminate the awkwardness and hours of work dealing with every person who might come to your door when trying to sell your home yourself. You likely already have a job – selling your own home can add hours to your day and cut into weekends for months as you await the right buyer.
Information provided by MREA