TIPS ON HOME COMPUTER AND GAMING SYSTEM USE
The number of incidents of overheating and fires involving computers and home gaming systems is on the rise. For the safe use of notebook computers the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) provides the following recommendations:
- Do not use incompatible computer batteries and chargers. If unsure about whether a replacement battery or charger is compatible, contact the product manufacturer.
- Computer batteries can get hot during normal use. Do not use your computer on soft surfaces, such as a sofa, bed or carpet, these surfaces restrict airflow and can cause overheating.
- Do not permit a loose battery to come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys or jewelry.
- Do not crush, puncture or put a high degree of pressure on the battery as this can cause an internal short-circuit, resulting in overheating.
- Dropping your computer, especially on a hard surface, can potentially cause damage to the computer and battery. If you suspect damage contact the manufacturer.
- Do not get your computer or battery wet. Even though they will dry and appear to operate normally, the circuitry could slowly corrode and pose a safety hazard.
- Follow battery usage, storage and charging guidelines found in the user’s guide.
The CPSC also offers the following tips for safe gaming:
- Read the owners manual for information on how to install and use the gaming device.
- Do not place the system on soft surfaces, such as a bed, sofa or carpeting that can block ventilation openings.
- Do not place the system in confined areas, such as an entertainment unit, bookcase or rack, unless the space is well ventilated.
- Do not install the system near heat sources, such as heat registers, radiators or heaters.
- Do not overload electrical sockets with too many devices.
- Do not expose the system to extreme heat or cold.
- Keep the system on a level surface.
- Turn the system off when not in use.
- Unplug the system in the event of storms or severe weather.
- Never use a game system with a damaged power supply cord.
- Only use accessories that are specified as compatible by the manufacturer.