Well this Week we got our first snowfall. If you haven't already started to winterize your home here are a few tips to get you going. Of course somethings you can't do now as there is snow on the ground but in the off chance it melts ....get out there and get it done!
20 Tips TO Get Your Home Winter Ready
1. If you own a snow blower, check that it’s working and doesn’t need any maintenance.
2. Check the roof’s shingles for holes, rips, rot, or possible leaks.
3. Mow the grass one last time and then winterize and put the lawn mower in storage.
4. Check your gutters/downspouts and clean them out if necessary.
5. Drain and pack up the garden hose.
6. Turn off outdoor taps (faucets) to prevent them from freezing and bursting.
7. Put away lawn ornaments.
8. Put deck furniture and other summer items in storage.
9. Have the chimney cleaned.
10. Ensure your outdoor steps are slip-resistant and if need be, apply a coat of slip-resistant paint or other material.
11. Trim or cut down any large tree branches.
12. If you’re one of those people who leave their Christmas lights attached to the house year-round, now’s the time to check and replace any burned out or faded bulbs. If not Hang them up now before it gets any colder.
13. Dig the snow shovels out from storage and keep somewhere handy (you never know when you’ll wake up late for work and there’s 5 feet of snow on the ground!). While you’re at it, might as well get all the snow toys out and ready to.
14. Check windows and doors for drafts and apply weather-stripping or caulking as needed to help reduce heat escaping and cold air entering your home, saving you money on your electricity bill
15. Replace your old thermostat with a new programmable one. This also helps with comfort levels and energy savings.
16. Dust, vacuum, or wipe down your baseboard heaters.
17. Ensure your home is well insulated (check the attic and basement).
18. If you have older windows or single pane ones buy some plastic that puts another layer over the window.
19. Check the furnace is working, isn’t due for maintenance, and clean or replace the filter if needed.
20. Check or replace the batteries in your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
For further information, please contact Marla Janzen your Trusted Saskatoon Realtor with CENTURY 21 Fusion, Saskatoon at 306-341-3699 or firstname.lastname@example.org.