Lawyer, author and speaker to the real estate industry, Mark Weisleder recently wrote a great article outlining “Six ways to make sure you buy the right house”. Throughout my blog, I have provided many tips and tricks on finding the right home for your lifestyle, but this article provides a nice summary of 6 important things to consider. See below for Mark’s six ways to ensure you get the right house.
- Sell or buy first? Mark suggests that understanding what type of market you are in should dictate this question. If you are in a seller’s market, then you may want to buy your home first and then sell. However, if you are in a buyers’ market, you will want to sell your home first as it should be easy to find a new one.
- Research, research, research: Be sure to do your homework on locations and neighbourhoods. Check local crime statistics, parks, schools, amenities and access to highways (should you need to commute). If possible, try to talk to neighbours or people in the community you are considering purchasing in.
- Find the right agent: Have a qualified agent guide you throughout the real estate process. Be sure to ask family and friends for recommendations and interview more than one professional. Ask targeted questions and find out how they plan to work with you and for you.
- How much can you afford? Before you start the searching process, be sure to meet with a mortgage professional to find out exactly what you can afford. Consider other financial obligations that may come up in the future.
- Choose a home inspector carefully: The home inspection is a vital part of the buying process. Be sure that you carefully choose your inspector by asking for references. Find out what tools and how thorough their process will be.
- Title insurance is a must: This can be arranged through your lawyer and protects you against unpaid taxes or water bills that were not paid by the seller. Title insurance does not protect you against everything however, so be sure to do your homework when you find the right property.
SOURCE: Mark Weisleder: http://www.markweisleder.com/11torontostararticle0930.pdf
For any real estate assistance in the Oakville, Burlington, Milton area contact Mary at firstname.lastname@example.org