So you have decided to make some changes to your home and you need to hire a contractor. With so many daunting contractor stories out there, it is imperative that you hire a contractor who is a reputable professional. I’d recommend speaking to friends and family to hear about the experiences they have had with contractors and find out if they have any recommendations for you.
As with any person you are hiring, it is good to interview or speak with a few different professionals. Find someone who can provide you with examples, references and a timeline of how they want to proceed with your projects. Be sure to get everything in writing before you commit! See below for some questions that you may want to ask when hiring a contractor:
- How long have you been in the business?
- Can the contractor provide samples or pictures of work he has performed?
- Can you please provide references? Aim for at least 3 references.
- Ask them if they have any ideas or suggestions for your projects. This should give an idea as to how invested they are in making your project a success.
- Try to get a rough estimate of cost.
- Does the contractor provide any warranty for the work they do?
- Does the contractor have business liability insurance?
- Will a written contract be drafted?
- Can the contractor provide a timeline for you or plan of action so that you know how it will take to get the job done?
Most importantly, go with the person that you feel is the most professional and that you are comfortable with. Check references and speak to your friends and family to find out if they have any recommendations.
For any real estate assistance in the Oakville, Burlington, Milton area contact Mary at email@example.com