So you have decided to buy a home, and you have a good idea of the style and design you are looking for. It is imperative to not be side-tracked by the look of a home though, as functionality for your lifestyle is extremely important. Having a REALTOR® assist you throughout this process will ensure that you look at the entire picture and consider all the positive and negative aspects of a home before you make a commitment that isn’t suitable to your lifestyle. Here is a list of some minor things that could have a potentially big impact on your decision to make an offer:
- Storage space: be sure to make sure that the home has adequate storage space for your belongings
- Outlets: Check each room to ensure that there are enough electrical outlets for your needs. Test a few to make sure that they work
- Screens: Warm summers in Ontario usually entail mosquitos. Be sure to check that screens are on sliding doors and windows.
- Location of bedrooms: Depending on your family dynamic, it may be important to you to have all bedrooms on the same floor.
- Room shapes: Be sure to consider the shape of each room. Will your furniture fit?
- Roof and Windows: It is easy to get side tracked by a beautifully renovated home. Make sure though that you don’t overlook the costly expenses such as a new roof or new windows. Check the age and condition of both.
- Plumbing: Check faucets for water pressure and flush toilets to ensure that they don’t run.
- Landscaping: Landscaping is a huge cost, so be sure that if the home you are looking at doesn’t have any landscaping that you factor the price in to what you can afford.
Have your REALTOR® walk through each home with you to ensure that you have a rational and impartial person pointing out the positive and negative aspects of a home. Buying a home is a very exciting process but you want to make sure that the investment you make suits your lifestyle and family’s needs. The small things listed above can have a huge impact on the functionality of your home. Being prepared to look for these things before you start shopping can save you a lot of disappointment in the long run.
For any real estate assistance in the Oakville, Burlington, Milton area contact Mary at firstname.lastname@example.org