Professionals have specific guidelines to help insure the lighting for the important areas of your home will provide the illumination that you need. Lighting in kitchens and bathrooms come at the top of the list. Every woman knows it is easy to put your make-up on in a hotel bathroom, because these rules are followed. Here are some tips that may help when it comes time to upgrade or update your home.
- FOR THE BATHROOM: Each single vanity mirror needs at least a 24 inch fixture. Double vanities look best with fixtures that run their entire width.
- FOR THE KITCHEN: A two light fluorescent fixture works well for kitchens 100 feet or less. Use a 4 light fixure for rooms up to 250 square feet.
- FOR THE FOYER: Simply add its' length and width together to get the right size diameter for the light. For example, a 6 foot by 6 foot foyer should have a twelve inch diameter fixture.
- FOR THE DINING ROOM: Follow the foyer tip to find the right diameter. Hang your fixture so that the bottom is at least thirty inches above the table.
- FOR THE HALLWAY: One ceiling fixture every eight to ten feet provides just the right amount of illumination. Sconces should be six to eight feet apart.